2016, The 10th Anniversary Annual Recap Letter for the Whitney Young Children’s Foundation
We are profoundly impacted by the fact this is the 10th anniversary of the creation of the Whitney Young Children’s Foundation. As you know, we formed the Foundation in 2006 when Whitney, our youngest child, was hit and killed while crossing the street by a hit-and-run, drunk driver. Whitney loved kids and she had a special way with them and we decided to honor her memory by supporting children’s causes. We never thought we could possibly live ten years without Whitney in our lives. We miss her so much! The Foundation was born out of tragedy, but as we remember, we are extremely proud and grateful for what has been accomplished in Whitney’s name. We reflect upon:
- Our donors…..whose generosity in 2015 totaled $118,175.92.
- The wonderful agencies that we have touched…in 2007, we gifted $18,900 and in 2016 we gifted a record $146,000. As you can see from the enclosed 2016 recap, we made gifts to 28 very deserving organizations. Acting as a fiduciary for our donors and supporters, the beneficiary selection process is very deliberate. Emphasis is placed on smaller charities with specific programs where the WYCF grant can make a difference in that organization’s ability to carry out their impactful programs. We always strive to fulfill the mission of the Whitney Young Children’s Foundation which is to encourage children and young adults to triumph despite life’s challenges and to dream, live, love and laugh in ways previously unimaginable.
- Special friends like… Siena and Harrison who adopted WYCF as their Mills Family Christmas project, fell in love with the adaptive bikes and collected over $6000, which was used to buy bikes for kids at CHLA… the generous ladies of PCCH who met a $10,000 challenge grant for the Literally Healing Program at CHLA…Pam Lopez who sells candy for WYCF and conquers excel and mail merge on Marlene’s behalf…Ted Dodd who once again donated proceeds from the Dodd Brothers golf tournament to WYCF…two special friends who have named WYCF in their estate plan…the NCL Peninsula Chapter which carries on the Walk for Whitney with MADD… Sunshine Kids Foundation naming Marlene as Honorary Chair of their annual bowl-a-thon…and Michele Underwood who regularly makes gifts to WYCF for all her honor memorials.
- MADD and their educational efforts which we embrace….this year Marlene spoke to Las Simpaticas about MADD and as a couple, we spoke to several Los Hermanos groups about the dangers of drinking and driving.
- Our new and improved website—check it out when you have a moment: whitneysfoundation.org
Since 2007, WYCF has gifted over $723,850 to deserving children’s charities. We personally pay all administrative and operating expenses. Consequently –it is still true that every dollar donated to the Whitney Young Children’s Foundation is gifted to carefully selected children’s charities and, of course, your gift is tax deductible.
The pain of losing Whitney never ends but we are honored to be able to keep Whitney’s love of children and her incredible spirit alive through her foundation. Thanks to each of you — donations make a difference every day in the lives of children and young adults. Happy Thanksgiving! Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!
Marlene Young, President Steve Young, Secretary