Walk Like MADD 2013 Recap
October 29, 2013
On Saturday, October 5th, we completed our 7th “Walk Like MADD” and Whitney’s All Stars were again shining brightly. We had 47 walkers plus 2 adorable dogs and 91 virtual walkers and we raised $6370 for MADD. Over the years, our team has raised a grand total of $47,572 for MADD.
Special thanks to the NCL Peninsula Chapter and Carol Holmes for a great turn out and to Ashley Hectus, Karen Govenar and Katrin Cooper for their added help. The purpose of the walk is to raise awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving. We spoke to those on our team and shared Whitney’s story. Each drunk driving death IS totally preventable. It all boils down to making a responsible decision….but the horror of a bad decision lasts a lifetime. It is still so painful to realize we will NEVER have Whitney in our lives again. The driver’s life is forever changed as well.
MADD has had a tremendous impact:
- drunk driving deaths have been cut in half since it was founded in 1980
- drunk driving deaths have decreased 27% since the Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving began in 2006
- 20 states now require interlock devices for repeat DUI offenders
- teen alcohol use kills 5000 people each year–that is more than all illegal drugs combined
- #1 killer of teens is motor vehicle collisions; 31% of these are alcohol related
- more Americans have been killed by drunk drivers than have died in combat in ALLthe wars fought by America
- every 2 minutes a person is injured in a drunk driving accident
- drunk driving kills almost 10,000 people in the US each year; one every 53 minutes or 27 people a day
- most important of all these facts…death and injuries caused by drunk driving are 100% preventable
Please make the right decision and help your friends make the right decision– do NOT drink and drive and don’t let others get behind the wheel after drinking either.
Because of one person’s choice, we sat vigil at Whitney’s bed for four days as she lay unconscious.
Because of one person’s choice, we were forced to donate Whitney’s heart, liver, kidneys and corneas.
Because of one person’s choice, we have lost our beautiful Whitney forever.
Thank you for supporting MADD and for supporting us. You have no idea how much it means to us!
Marlene and Steve Young